The Museum is housed in 18th-century construction built by the Lepri family which was once used as town hall. It includes an archaeological section and a picture gallery, with works coming from the churches in the town and district; thus providing documentation of local artistic production and formal devotion. These collections are an irreplaceable source of the history and culture of Bevagna, indicative of the community way of being and thinking.
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SECTION
The selected archaeological collection, whose original nucleus dates back to the end of the 18th century, include several finds from the Archaic to the Imperial age: fragments of sculptures, inscriptions, funeral stelae, Roman Republican coins, small bronzes, ceramics, and locally-made cinerary urns.
THE PICTURE GALLERY
The art gallery came into being as a result of the confiscation of ecclesiastical property decreed by the newly-founded Italian State in 1860. In the following period other works from churches in the town and district were incorporated. The works of some local artists, such as Ascensindonio Spacca known as Fantino and Andrea Camassei, document the liveliness of the art in Bevagna between the end of the 16th century and the first half of the 17th century. Of particular merit are the Adoration of the Magi by Corrado Giaquinto and The Virgin and the child by Dono Doni.
Corso Matteotti, 70
April – September
FRI - SAT - SUN 10:30 - 13:00 / 15:00 – 18:00
October – March
FRI - SAT - SUN 10:30 - 13:00 / 14:30 – 17:00