The spectacular Fortress of Castruccio Castracani stands on the top of the Sarzanello hill overlooking the medieval town of Sarzana and the plain of the Val di Magra, along the Via Francigena.
The oldest nucleus, documented from the eleventh century, was modified between 1314 and 1328 by Castruccio Castracani and, in the fifteenth century, by order of Tomaso Campofregoso. The current structure should be traced back to the decision of Lorenzo De Medici to transform Sarzana into a fortified outpost in defense of the Florentine seigniory and entrust its work to Francesco di Giovanni called il Francione.
The Fortress seen from above has a rhomboidal shape due to the particular triangular-shaped walls with towers at the top and the massive construction to protect the entrance called the ravelin. The structure, delimited by a moat in which at the time was not provided for the presence of water, in the center presents the male, consisting of four floors with walking at the apex, in addition to various service environments useful for everyday life. In the lower part are the prisons and underground, perfectly preserved and passable.
The Fortress, still used today for military exercises, is open to the public and home to cultural events.
Via della Fortezza (museo)
SAT 10:00 - 13:00 / 15:00 - 18:00
SUN 10:00 - 13:00 / 15:00 - 18:00