One of the main art collections in Italy, is housed on the upper floors of the Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia, the Town Hall since the Middle Ages and a significant example of Gothic civil architecture. On June 4, 1863, the museum was separated from the academy to become a civic art gallery, named after one of the city's greatest artistic glories, Pietro Vannucci, known as il Perugino. Ten years later, the entire collection was moved to Palazzo dei Priori.
In 1918 assumed the name of Regia Galleria Vannucci, which later became the National Gallery of Umbria. Over the years the entire complex of Palazzo dei Priori has been repeatedly affected by renovations and functional adaptation. The museum path, inaugurated in its current form in 2006, occupies an area of 4000 square meters on two floors. The collection, chronologically ordered, is rich in important works of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance due to artists such as Arnolfo di Cambio, Nicola and Giovanni Pisano, Duccio, Gentile da Fabriano, Fra Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli, Giovanni Boccati and Piero della Francesca, the large altarpiece of S. Antonio is conserved with the famous Annunciation on the cimasa. Particular attention is given to Umbrian artists Benedetto Bonfigli, Bartolomeo Caporali, Fiorenzo di Lorenzo, Perugino, Pintoricchio and their pupils and followers.
Some thematic sections are reserved for the goldsmithery, the ivory and wood carvings, the traditional "perugine tablecloths" and the topography of the city of Perugia. The route is completed with valuable paintings from the seventeenth century to the nineteenth century, due to Orazio Gentileschi, Valentin de Boulagne, Pietro da Cortona, Sassoferrato, Francesco Trevisani, Sebastiano Conca, Pierre Subleyras, Corrado Giaquinto, Jean- Baptiste Wicar. The museum's spaces also include a well-equipped conference room, a teaching room and the vast Podiani Hall, used for temporary exhibitions, concerts and shows.
Corso Vannucci, 19
WED 14:00 - 19:30
THU 14:00 - 19:30
FRI 14:00 - 19:30
SAT 08:30 - 19:30
SUN 08:30 - 19:30