BARBERINI CORSINI GALLERIE NAZIONALI are one museum and two galleries: Palazzo Barberini and the Corsini Gallery. They own more than 5000 works of art: paintings, sculptures and decorative arts from the 13th century to the 18th century. The original core of the National Galleries' collection was formed from the donation of the Corsini's collection to the state in 1883. During the 20th century, the collection started to grow up due to the new acquisitions from other Roman families, so that in 1949 the Italian state bought Palazzo Barberini to open in 1953 the new section of the National Gallery. The Corsini Gallery exhibits today only the works coming from the Corsini bequest and constitutes the only 18th-century collection in Rome that remains in its original context: the palace acquired by the family in 1736, under the pontificate of Clement XII Corsini. The building, famous for having hosted the Queen Christina of Sweden in the 17th century, was transformed into a real court by the architect Ferdinando Fuga.The recent setup of the museum has displayed the paintings exactly as they had been arranged by Cardinal Neri Maria Corsini, the first and main author of the collection, following the inventory of the halls of 1771.
Visiting the Gallery you can enter inside the apartments of an eighteenth-century cardinal, including the famous Alcova of Christina of Sweden, and admire masterpieces such as the St. John the Baptist by Caravaggio, the Prometheus by Salvator Rosa, the St. Sebastian by Rubens or the mysterious Corsini Throne.
Via della Lungara, 10