The birth of the public collection of archaeological finds from Taranto is tied to the tumultuous events that characterized archaeology of the last decades of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. During this period the local antiquities market saw the dispersal of countless precious objects amongst museums and private collections in Italy and abroad.
The National Archaeological Museum of Taranto is located in a building named as Convent of S. Pasquale or of the Alcantarini monks.
The building was erected shortly after the mid-18th century, and became home to the museum in 1887. The structure has been expanded and restored in several stages, starting in 1903 when Guglielmo Calderoni redesigned the faades. Carlo Ceschi is the architect responsible for the Northern wing, built between 1935 and 1941.
The new display focuses on the most significant objects in the museum collections and on the contexts from which they were excavated. The visitor, proceeding from the second to the first floor, will follow the history of Taranto and its territory in a chronological sequence: Prehistory and Proto-history, Greek Period, Roman Age, Late Antiquity and Middle Age. In the exhibition the dynamic interrelations with the pre-Roman native populations are not neglected as well.
The MArTA offers a dense educational and cultural planning, which every day provides an intense activity of valorization, training and research aimed to involve the different user groups (children, teens, general public, public with disabilities).
Via Cavour, 10
MON 8:30 - 19:30
TUE 8:30 - 19:30
WED 8:30 - 19:30
THU 8:30 - 19:30
FRI 8:30 - 19:30
SAT 8:30 - 19:30
SUN 8:30 - 19:30
Every first Sunday of the month: 8:30 - 19:30