Housed in the seventeenth-century monastery of Santa Chiara, in the historic center of the city, the Archaeological Museum houses finds from the prehistoric age up to the medieval period from the territory of ancient Venafrum. Open to the public in 1931 with a small exhibition of archaeological material, it was used as a kindergarten for displaced people during the Second World War. Since 1996 it has reopened to the public with a new and more extensive set-up.
Through the two floors of the museum the ancient history of the city unfolds, which from an important Samnite settlement, became in Roman times one of the most flourishing centers of the region, famous in particular for the production of oil.
The wealth of the Roman Venafrum is attested by the decorations of the monumental buildings and the patrician residences: frescoes, mosaics, colored marbles and above all the statues, including the famous Venus of Venafro.
In the sector dedicated to the medieval era, the Venafro chess is of particular importance, built more than a thousand years ago during the Arab domination of the city and considered among the oldest in Europe.
A wing, recently built, preserves the findings of the monastic complex of San Vincenzo al Volturno, considered one of the most important Benedictine sites of the early Middle Ages.
Corso Garibaldi, 8
TUE 8:15 - 13:45
WED 8:15 - 13:45
THU 8:15 - 13:45
FRI 8:15 - 19:15
SAT 8:15 - 19:15
SUN 8:15 - 19:15