BARBERINI CORSINI GALLERIE NAZIONALI are one museum and two galleries: Palazzo Barberini and the Corsini Gallery. They own more than 5000 works of art: paintings, sculptures and decorative arts from the 13th century to the 18th century.
The original core of the National Galleries' collection was formed from the donation of the Corsini's collection to the state in 1883. During the 20th century, the collection started to grow up due to the new acquisitions from other Roman families such as the Chigi, the Torlonia, the Mattei, the Odescalchi or the Sciarra. In 1949, the Italian state acquired the Barberini Palace from the family's heirs, wherein 1953 the new section of the National Gallery was opened. Today it displays a collection of works from the 13th to the 18th century with masterpieces such as the Annunciation by Filippo Lippi, the Fornarina by Raphael or Judith and Holofernes by Caravaggio.
Palazzo Barberini is quintessential of the Roman Baroque. Created by Pope Urban the VIII, it was built starting in 1625 by the primary Italian architects of the 17th century: Carlo Maderno, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Francesco Borromini and decorated by artists such as Andrea Sacchi and Pietro da Cortona who painted in the main hall the extraordinary ceiling with the Triumph of the Divine Providence.
Via delle Quattro Fontane, 13
TUE 8:30 - 19:00
WED 8:30 - 19:00
THU 8:30 - 19:00
FRI 8:30 - 19:00
SAT 8:30 - 19:00
SUN 8:30 - 19:00
The ticket office coloses at 6 pm