Built between 1883 and 1887 on a design by the architect Camillo Pistrucci in a sober neo-Renaissance style, Palazzo Massimo alle Terme was born as a college of the Jesuit fathers and kept this destination until 1960. In 1981 it was acquired by the Italian State, to become one of the headquarters of the Museo Nazionale Romano. The collections are distributed in the four floors of the building according to a chronological and thematic criterion: the ground floor, the first and the second floor are dedicated to the ancient art section; the basement houses the numismatic and jewelery sections. In the exhibition on the ground floor you can follow the evolution of the Roman portrait from the late Republican era until the beginning of the empire, which includes the portraits of the family of Augustus and the statue of the emperor as Pope Maximus. Among the original Greek works imported to Rome, the Niobide from the Horti Sallustiani and the bronze statue of the Boxer stand out.
The theme of the portrait continues on the first floor, where the development of the imperial image from the Flavian age to the late antique period is illustrated. Ample space is dedicated to the "ideal" sculpture depicting gods and other characters of the myth. Among the masterpieces of statuary that decorated the imperial residences there are the Fanciulla di Anzio and the Roman copies of famous Greek works: the Discobolo Lancellotti, the crouched Aphrodite and the sleeping Hermaphrodite. Noteworthy are the bronze sculptures that decorated the Ships of Nemi and the sarcophagus of Portonaccio.
On the second floor, frescoes, stuccos and mosaics document the decoration of prestigious Roman residences. A suggestive display recomposes the rooms of the Villa of Livia in Prima Porta and of the Villa della Farnesina in their original dimensions. Finally, the basement is dedicated to the medal collection of the Museo Nazionale Romano, with a path marked by the salient stages of the economic history of our country. Luxury and jewelery are documented by sumptuous funerary furnishings, such as that of the Girl of Grottarossa, displayed next to the small mummy. A selection of objects related to the uses and customs of the Romans illustrates the costs of everyday life. The precious scepters presented in the hall of the Imperial Insignia enrich the picture of the "signs of power" in Roman times.
Largo di Villa Peretti, 31
TUE 14:00 - 19:45
WED 14:00 - 19:45
THU 14:00 - 19:45
FRI 14:00 - 19:45
SAT 10:30 - 19:45
SUN 10:30 - 19:45
The ticket office closes an hour before