Palazzo Petrignani is one of most important places in town. The Palazzo Petrignani with its impressive facade stands on the Platea Major where there had to be the main entrance which was never completed.
The construction of the building begun in 1571 according to a design by the architect Ottaviano Mascarino. Bartolomeo Petrignani was the one who decided to build it, but the construction was completed thanks to the funding of his brother, Fantino, who was Archbishop of Cosenza, butler of Pope Gregory XIII, assistant legate of Bologna, Delegate in Naples and acted as the protector of the young Caravaggio.
The frescoes and the interior decorations are traditionally attributed to the Zuccari school (Taddeo and Federico). Instead, it seems more relevant to attribute them to Tarquinio Racani, artist of Amelia, who painted other buildings and churches of the town.