Reggio Calabria, Italy
The Pinacoteca Civica di Reggio Calabria is a museum that preserves and exhibits works of art mainly owned by the Municipality of Reggio Calabria. The oldest works (XV-XIX century) derive from the collections of the former Civic Museum, founded in 1882 and suppressed in 1948; the most modern works (19th-20th century) derive from purchases and donations.
San Girolamo penitente and Three angels visiting Abraham painted by Antonello da Messina around 1460 and purchased by the Municipality of Reggio Calabria in 1890 by Giovanbattista Rota, the most valuable works in the collections of the former Civic Museum. descendant of a noble family of Reggio. Among the state works, instead, the return of the prodigal son of Mattia Preti and The battle of Capua by Andrea Cefaly stand out. Among the modern works, numerous are those of Calabrian artists: from the nineteenth century the landscapes of the Ignazio Lavagna Fieschi from Reggio and his pupil Giuseppe Benassai and the sculptures of Francesco Jerace; 20th century paintings by Rubens Santoro, Francesco Raffaele, Antonio Cannata, Enzo Benedetto; the sculptures by Pasquale Panetta and Saverio Gatto. Among the non-Calabrian artists, we recall Giovanni Omiccioli, Giampiero Restellini and Renato Guttuso, of which a drawing on cardboard is exhibited, Pescatore Scillese, with whom he participated in the Biennale of Art Calabrese in 1949.
Via Osanna, 6
89125, Reggio Calabria
TUE 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00
WED 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00
THU 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00
FRI 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00
SAT 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00
SUN 9:00 - 13:30 / 14:30 - 19:00