Castel San Vincenzo, Italy
The Benedictine monastic complex of San Vincenzo al Volturno has an inestimable historical value, being the largest and best preserved early medieval monastic site in Europe.
The monastery was founded in the 8th century by three young nobles from Benevento, Paldo, Taso and Tato and with the arrival of the Franks in 774 it was directly subjected to the authority of Charlemagne in 787.
The election of the abbot Joshua (792-817) marked the most important moment of the political and spiritual ascent, through a vast program of architectural reorganization that transformed San Vincenzo into one of the most important monastic cities of Europe. The complex not only counted nine churches but also numerous shops of the refined artisans who excelled in the goldsmith's art and in the production of glass, whose finds are preserved in the archaeological museum of Venafro.
San Vincenzo was attacked and set on fire by the Saracens in 881. The reconstruction of the monastery will take place only at the end of the 10th century but at the end of the 11th century, due to the Norman threat, the monastery was moved along the right bank of the Volturno, more secure and defensible ("San Vincenzo Nuovo").
During the XIII-XV century the decadence and the disintegration of the monastic complex and its land properties began which Pope Innocenzo XII (1615-1700) moved in 1699 under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Montecassino, from which it still depends today.
Today there are the remains of frescoes, marble floors, and the altars that convey the idea of architectural beauty and harmony, in addition to the "Crypt of Epifanio", whose frescoes represent one of the most important pictorial cycles of the high European Middle Ages.
Strada statale 158, s.n.c.
86071, Castel San Vincenzo
TUE 8:30 - 14:00
WED 8:30 - 14:00
THU 8:30 - 14:00
FRI 8:30 - 14:00
SAT 8:30 - 14:00
SUN 10:00 - 16:00