The Cassioli Museum
The Cassioli Museum of Asciano was built in 1991 thanks to the important legacy of works of the Cassioli family, originally from Asciano, and Rawn in 2007 with the increase of numerous works in storage from the art high school "Duccio di Buoninsegna" in Siena.
The museum is the only museum headquarters of the province dedicated entirely to the 19th-century Sienese painting and is divided into two sections. In the first, sketches and works are carried out for those who were the protagonists of the Academy of Fine Arts of Siena, directed by Luigi Mussini from 1851 to 1888: Angelo Visconti, Cesare Maccari, Pietro Aldi and many other artists who could represent episodes taken from the Ancient world and mythology but also to be attentive witnesses of their time.
Luigi Mussini, an inflexible supporter of purist aesthetic against the advent of realism, intended to resurrect a recognizable "Sienese School" inspired by the organization of Renaissance shops.
The second part of the museum is dedicated to the artistic path of Amos Cassioli, with works performed in Florence where the artist stared at him and where his son Giuseppe was educated, which was eclectic painter, architect and especially sculptor.