Reggio Emilia, Italy
This palace was built between 1925 and 1928 by Luigi Parmeggiani to house his art collection.
Parmeggiani, born in Reggio Emilia and fled to London after some events related to his anarchist circles, runs an art gallery in Paris with the artist Ignacio Leon Y Escosura. After an adventurous life among the various European capitals, combining to his activity in the art market perhaps even a business as a forger, he returned to Reggio Emilia where he built his museum-house.
The eclectyc style of the building seems to express a synthesis of models of the ancient, medieval and Renaissance world. The vestibule hosts a collection of marble and terracotta items. On the vestibule sides there are smaller rooms, while the main path leads to the central hall, featuring a large skylight, which recalls the impluvium atrium of the ancient Roman houses, but also the hall of the Escosura/Marcy sales gallery in Paris.
The current set up respects the project of Parmeggiani and includes three rooms dedicated to European pictorial schools (Flemish, Spanish, French / English), four rooms dedicated to types of materials (fabrics, costumes, jewelery and weapons), three rooms for paintings of Escosura and Cesare Detti. The central hall (dedicated to Clemente, as a tribute to the city of Reggio Emilia) houses Italian paintings, furniture, ceramic and metal objects.
C.so Cairoli, 2
42121, Reggio Emilia
TUE 9:00 - 12:00
WED 9:00 - 12:00
THU 9:00 - 12:00
FRI 9:00 - 12:00
SAT 10:00 - 13:00 / 16:00 - 19:00
SUN 10:00 - 13:00 / 16:00 - 19:00