Reggio Emilia, Italy
The Italian national flag was first adopted in Reggio Emilia on January 7, 1797. On that day, representatives of the cities of Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna and Ferrara proclaimed the red, white and green Tricolour to be the banner of the Cispadane Republic. The historic session took place in the Municipal Palace, specifically in a large hall built between 1772 and 1787, designed by Lodovico Bolognini to host the general archive of the Estense Duchy. The hall was subsequently named Congress Hall and then Tricolour Hall, and is now the home of the City Council.
The Museum of the Tricolour Flag opened in 2004 to document the historical and political context in which the flag was created. In 2006 a second section about the Risorgimental events was added to the first one dedicated to the Napoleonic period. In 2017, on the occasion of a general review of the Museum and the construction of a new entrance, a contemporary section has been inaugurated. It hosts new laboratories and important works by contemporary artists involved in the project “Ninety artists for a flag”: an exhibition-workshop area in which the flag theme gets in touch with the contemporary art and the creativity of inspiration.
Piazza Casotti, 1
42121, Reggio Emilia
TUE: 09:00 - 12:00
WEN: 09:00 - 12:00
THU: 09:00 - 12:00
FRY: 09:00 - 12:00
SAT: 10:00 - 13:00 / 16:00 - 19:00
SUN: 10:00 - 13:00 / 16:00 - 19:00