Bassano del Grappa, Italy
The Naturalistic section of the Civic Museums of Bassano del Grappa preserves collections of ancient and recent natural history. The historical, geological and botanical collections date back to the years when the museum was founded, when the Bassano geologist and naturalist Giambattista Brocchi, in 1828, left his geo-paleontological collections, his library and his manuscripts as a gift to the City of Bassano for the creation of the Civic Museum. His pupil and collaborator Alberto Parolini, a botanist from Bassano, also donated his geological collections, herbarium, library and manuscripts to the museum when he died in 1867. This first nucleus then grew with the herbarium of the Bassano pharmacist and botanist Giovanni Montini, a collaborator of A. Parolini. In recent times, at the end of the last century, the entomological collections of Ferruccio and Mario Meneghetti were added, again by donation, and recently, the Luca Cites collection has enriched the museum with a zoological collection with numerous mammals and birds. The museum also has smaller naturalistic collections (in number, not importance) of shells (malacological collection H. Nisters), dragonflies, other herbaria and a small, but important, zoological collection of rare mammals, belonging to endangered species, entrusted to the museum on permanent deposit by the Cites Service of the State Forestry Corps.
The collections of natural history, in particular the historical ones, have undergone in the course of almost two centuries since the foundation of the museum alternate conservation events, ranging from the enhancement to the disinterest and total abandonment and degradation, also due to the tragedy of the bombing of Bassano, in which the museum was also involved, during the SWW. The collections damaged (herbaria in particular) by the bombing and the subsequent negligence in conservation have not been exposed to the public until today.
Via Angarano, 77
36061, Bassano del Grappa
SAT from 16:00 only with reservation