Inaugurated in 2011, Palazzo Fava Exhibition Centre covers an area of more than 2600 square metres, it regularly houses national and international exhibitions like "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" and "From Cimabue to Morandi-Felsina Pittrice".
The Giasone and Medea’s frescoes on the noble floor by the young Annibale, Agostino and Ludovico Carracci are the first important cycles of the Carraccis’ career, they were commissioned by Filippo Fava in 1584. The episode about the Enchantments of Medea stands out. The sorceress is sitting naked about to bathe herself in a creek under the moon rays; this fresco was defined as the first modern nude.
The origin of Palazzo Fava dates back to Medieval time, but the current structure was built during the Renaissance. The Fava family acquired the building in 1546 and restorated it in the following years.
After the extinction of the Fava-Ghisilieri, the Palace was owned by the Medica Family, then became property of the Grand Hotel Majestic. In 2005 the entire complex was bought by the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna, completely restored and returned to the city as a Centre for Exhibitions.
Via Manzoni, 2
TUE 10:00 - 19:00
WED 10:00 - 19:00
THU 12:00 - 21:00
FRI 10:00 - 19:00
SAT 10:00 - 19:00
SUN 10:00 - 19:00