BARBERINI CORSINI NATIONAL GALLERIES are a museum and two galleries: Palazzo Barberini and Galleria Corsini that retain over 5,000 works of art including paintings, sculptures, sketches, arts decorative by Two hundred to eighteenth century.
the assets of the National Galleries formed in 1883 with the donation to the State of the Corsini collection, then placed in Palazzo Corsini. the collection is enriched soon of works from prestigious Roman collections, so much so that in 1949 the Italian State acquires Palazzo Barberini to open in 1953 the new headquarters of National Gallery.
Galleria Corsini today exposes only the works from the Corsini collection and is the’ only eighteenth-century collection remained in Rome in its original context: the palace purchased by the family in 1736, under Pope Clement XI The Corsini. L’ building, famous for hosting the seventeenth century Queen Christina of Sweden, was transformed into a veritable palace from’ architect Ferdinando Fuga. The recent museum exhibition has relocated the paintings exactly as had been arranged by Cardinal Blacks Maria Corsini, first and main author of the collection, on the basis of’ inventory of rooms in the 1771.
Visiting the Galleryè ; can then enter the apartment of a cardinal of the eighteenth century, including the famous Alcova Christina of Sweden and admire masterpieces such as the St John the Baptist Caravaggio, the Prometheus Salvator Rosa, the San Sebastian Rubens or mysterious Trono Corsini .