The Diocesan Museum of the Cathedral of Salerno is situated in the archbishop's palace. The building is of medieval origin and until 1700 was an important landmark of the city of Salerno. The Museum was founded in 1935 and initially the works were exhibited in two small rooms. The Diocesan Museum of San Matteo, the library and the diocesan archives were placed inside the building in 1980. The museum collection has been collected since the thirties by Monsignor Arturo Capone. An initial nucleus was donated by the Marquis d'Aragona Ruggi archbishop. The collection consists of paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the eighteenth century. They are part of the collection the works of Simone Martini, Andrea Sabatini and artists of the Neapolitan circle of the seventeenth century. Of great value is the cycle of ivories, which is considered the most complete medieval collection in the world. Exhibited in the museum and of great importance is the Exsultet Salerno. The Exsultet is a chant that is sung on Easter night to ward off the darkness. The document is displayed in separate display cabinets with the original frames. The wooden crucifix of the Middle Ages preserved in the diocesan museum is a work that draws him many faithful. It seems that Christ bowed his head before the crucifix in sign of repentance for the pain of death.