The Civic Museum
The Museum occupies the first floor of the audience hall of Siena, one of the most famous and significant of medieval Gothic buildings, erected at the behest of the Nine (1287-1355 Government). Work on the construction of the building, probably conducted since 1297 in part by reusing pre-existing walls, interested at first the central part already completed in 1304 with the creation of that of the Globe, venue of the meetings of the General Council of the Republic hall until 1343. Between 1307 and 1311 a first extension would affect the area to the right in the direction of Malborghetto with the building of so-called wing of the Nine.
As attested by ancient chronicles around 1325 would instead began expanding to the left of the main building towards Salicotto the wing building of the Podesta ended after 1330. The construction of the building would concluded in 1348 with the creation of travertine rock of Torre del Mangia, built from 1325 in the corner of the street said Malcucinato and with the large loggia placing on the back in 1350. built whose principal purpose is to accommodate both the political that the major administrative functions of the ancient Sienese State, only with the unification of Italy, the palace became visited by deputies and days, following the huge success of the "Show of ancient Sienese Art", held within it in 1904 , stably opened from 1907 onwards in relation to certain rooms on the first floor. Its official establishment can however be traced back to 1909, the date of approval of a special regulation. Over the years the Museum, having to live with the institutional and administrative functions still housed within the Palace, has seen an extreme variability both as regards an extension of its spaces, the collections on display (topographic, numismatic, pictorial). The most recent projects allestitivi and museological date back respectively to 1985 and 1992.
The decoration of the building, which goes hand in hand the various construction events, still represents its main feature. The salt of the noble floor, which represent the core of the Museum, presenting in particular a dense concentration of frescoes and mural paintings belonging to the most important interpreters of the Sienese school of painting from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century. Masterpieces such as Majesty (1315-1321) or Guidoriccio da Fogliano at the siege of Montemassi (1330) by Simone Martini, the castle of Giuncarico socket (ca. 1314) attributed to Duccio Buonsigna, the Allegories of Good and Effects and bad government (1338-1339), the pictorial cycle with public virtues and episodes of Greek and Roman heroes (1529-1535), made by Domenico Beccafumi on the Consistory hall's ceiling, are unanimously recognized as art not vertci only Siena but worldwide. Beyond the impressive decorative display that makes it a uniquely beautiful setting, the museum also houses a number of important nuclei collezionistici stratified over time and today only partly exposed, that attest to the complex and mutually constitutive, including over the works directly commissioned for the palace, stand out the gold, the valuable numismatic collections and a big selection of sculptures, paintings on wood and canvas and not the Sienese school.