The construction of the building dates back to the second half of the 16th century, when the Becchi Counts decided to build their own representative residence in the city and chose a place - via della Ghiara, now Corso Garibaldi - which was then particularly strategic for trade. As early as the fifteenth century, several families of the city's elite settled here, so much so that we can speak of a real urban planning attention (which then intensified with the erection - starting from 1597 - of the Basilica of the Madonna della Ghiara), on the basis of which a precise alignment of the facades and a shrewd perspective insertion of the buildings into the street fabric was required, often through the affixing of corner decorations. Palazzo Magnani also has this type of decoration: the marble herm depicting two-faced Janus, the work of the sculptor Prospero Sogari, known as Clemente, and dated 1576. Of the original construction of that period only the planimetric system that revolves around a courtyard remains today. central and the angular marble herm. Starting from the early nineteenth century, the Palazzo was sold to another Reggio family, the Chioffi, who in 1841 promoted important restorations. There is in fact a complete makeover of the building in the neoclassical style, visible above all in the internal and external facades and in the central staircase. At that time the building probably took its present form, while the interior decorations and the frescoes on the ceilings of the rooms on the first floor were made over a longer period of time, up to the late nineteenth century.