The Museum Boncompagni
The Boncompagni Ludovisi cottage, designed in 1901 by the engineer Giovanni Battista Giovenale (1849-1934), is a particular example of eclectic architecture, expressing the taste defined as "Roman Baroque" of the early twentieth century mixed with Liberty elements.
The building is located between Porta Pinciana and Porta Salaria, where once stood in the seventeenth century Villa Ludovisi which, together with the nearby Villa Medici and numerous other noble villas and gardens, constituted the great green belt around the historic center of Rome since ancient age. In these places it extended in Roman times starting from the 1st century BC. a rich residence that belonged to Caesar, then purchased by the historian Caio Sallustio Crispo and later became famous as Horti Sallustiani. After a long period of neglect following the barbarian invasions, the area was used for vineyards by noble families. In 1620 Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi bought one of these properties to build his own residence, Villa Ludovisi. Due to its particular beauty, the villa represented a stop on the Grand Tour and many writers praised its panoramic and artistic qualities. At the end of the 19th century, the Boncompagni Ludovisi family decided to sacrifice the villa to create a new neighborhood; in 1886 he signed the Convention with the Mayor of Rome Leopoldo Torlonia and the General Real Estate Company of Turin which decreed the destruction of the historic villa to make way for a district of single-family villas, luxury hotels and religious complexes.
Ph. credit Roberto Galasso, Valentina Flamingo e Maximiliano Massaroni