Mario Praz Museum
Opened to the public in June 1995, it is one of the rare examples of a house-museum on the Italian museum scene. Created in sixty years of passionate collecting by Mario Praz (Rome 1896-1982) anglist and critic of international standing, it looks like a noble residence of the nineteenth century furnished in all its details with furniture, paintings, sculptures, carpets, curtains, chandeliers, bronzes, crystals, porcelain, miniatures, silver and marble.
Purchased on the European antiques market, in France, Germany and England, as well as in Italy, these furnishings offer a very enjoyable overview of a 'furnishing philosophy' that ranges from the neoclassical taste of the end of the 18th century through the empire style, up to in the more domestic Biedermeier way that characterizes the second half of the nineteenth century, reception rooms and bedrooms, libraries, study and dining rooms are offered one after the other to the visitor who is welcomed there as in a dwelling still inhabited, with the fresh flowers in the vases and the open books on the tables.
On the walls many paintings represent views of nineteenth-century interiors and it is not unusual to find among the furnishings of the house some of the objects reproduced in the paintings themselves such as the great Erad harp of the early nineteenth century placed in the study, near a portrait of a lady who in a fashionable blue dress of 1830 he leans on an identical musical instrument.
Ph. Credit Valentina Flamingo