Strong Santa Tecla è an imposing structure located on the Old Port of San Remo . It was built in the years 1755-56 on the orders of the Republic of Genoa for“ keep in having the Sanremo” following the’ popular uprising in 1753 sparked by the Genoa decision to separate from Sanremo glue.
The sharp, triangular and bastion on the vertices,è a typical example of military architecture of the eighteenth century, one of the few remaining intact on the Ligurian coast. It is spread over three floors, with a firepower of 16 d’ artillery pieces, arranged on the front ramparts and other 5 più small rear bastion. It was intended to house a military contingent made up of two companies of 40 men each.
The Fort Santa Tecla yet played its role in the Napoleonic period, in’ scope of the coastal defense system when there were placed a few pieces of artillery. After 1815, with the’ annexation of Liguria to the Kingdom of Sardinia, the fort was used as a barracks while remaining a symbol of steadfastness and of’ authoritiesà Genoa Riviera di Ponente. In Unification period, in 1864, the fort was adapted to the Judicial Prison, keeping intact l’ original plant. Today recovered in the central partè space for events and cultural events, waiting for the expected overall restoration.