The Palazzo dei Consoli, Piazza Grande and the Palazzo del Podestà together form one of the most majestic and audacious building projects carried out in the Middle Ages, bearing witness to the ambitious nature of Gubbio’s political and institutional objectives at the beginning of the 14th century. The construction of the monumental building complex was originally decided upon between 1321 and 1322, work began in 1332 and involved highly skilled professionals like the architect Angelo da Orvieto and Matteo di Giovanello, known as “Gattapone”, a native of Gubbio. The new buildings were situated in the centre of the town. This required alterations to the natural layout of the site and the construction of the suspended square connecting the Palazzi. The building was intended to be the seat of government of the Free Commune of Gubbio housing all the official courts and institutions, such as the Consuls, the Gonfaloniere and the General Assembly of the People.
Since 1909 the Palazzo dei Consoli has housed the Civic Museum. The collection dates back to 1456 when the representatives of the Commune purchased the celebrated Iguvine Tables, and over the centuries has accumulated other objects thanks to acquisitions and donations. The collection is now arranged in various sections occupying the five floors of the Palazzo and illustrates the history and culture of Gubbio and its people from prehistoric times to the present day.
MON 10:00 - 13:00 / 14:30 - 17:30
TUE 10:00 - 13:00 / 14:30 - 17:30
WED 10:00 - 13:00 / 14:30 - 17:30
THU 10:00 - 13:00 / 14:30 - 17:30
FRI 10:00 - 13:00 / 14:30 - 17:30